Wednesday 6 February 2013

Baking for fun: Biscotti

Today I took on the task of making biscotti. A difficult task because I was in charge of watching my little brother at the same time.... I succeeded in making the dough and getting it into the oven. While the dough was in the oven, I decided to make myself a drink from the leftover lemon and orange. I cut the orange open and.... it was RED!!!!!!! I realized that I had used a blood orange instead of a regular orange. I spent the next 5-10 minutes googleing "Does blood orange zest taste different that orange zest?" most results actually stated that blood orange zest is sweeter. Hope I did the recipe a favor... anyway, here's the recipe:
  • 3 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 cup corn or canola oil
  • 1 1/4 cups white sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 large egg whites
  • 1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
  • 1/2 tsp finely grated orange zest
  • 1 tsp anise extract or almond extract 
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
Whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. Set aside. In a large bowl, combine the rest of the ingredients and beat them on medium speed until combined. Gradually add the flour mix to the egg mix until it forms a dough. Make the dough into a log and divide it into 12 equal pieces. Place the pieces on a greased cookies sheet and bake them for 25 minutes in a 375 degree oven. Once the logs are baked, slice each one into 3 slices. Then........EAT!!!! They smelt heavenly. As I was cutting them, the lovely smell of orange and almond filled the kitchen. It actually tasted like biscotti! I was sooooo happy :)It's a very nice recipe and worth making!
Biscotti


See you next time internet! Love, Alexa :)           
 

No comments:

Post a Comment